HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!
Hooray for the red, white and blue! Fireworks, food, friends, and fun as we celebrate freedom. (Quite the alliterated sentence, huh?)
Today I thought I would share a recipe I made 12 years ago-Red, White & Blueberry Pie. I have not made it since then, so the pictures are few and old. Why, you may ask, share a recipe that you only made one time a dozen years ago? And why haven’t you made it since then if it is so great?
Well, I had a baby. Okay, big deal. No, I had a baby on July 3rd! So, on July 4th we always have leftover birthday cake. One day I’ll make it again, perhaps to take somewhere. Although, we tend to be low-key on the 4th, due to the celebratory 3rd. Anyway…that is probably more information than you needed. Without further ado, I give you Red, White & Blueberry Pie!
Red, White & Blueberry Pie
1/2 package (15 ounce) refrigerated pie crust
1 quart fresh strawberries, divided
4 squares (1 ounce each) white chocolate for baking
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (or reduced-fat cream cheese)
3/4 cup cold milk
1 package (3.3 ounce) white chocolate instant pudding
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup thawed, frozen whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Press pie crust into a deep pie pan. Prick the bottom of the crust. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Rinse strawberries. Pat dry. Set aside 8 of the best looking berries. Cut in half, through the stem, leaving the stem intact. Hull and slice the remaining strawberries.
- Melt the white chocolate according to package directions. Be careful to not overheat. Dipped the halved strawberries in the melted chocolate. Place on parchment paper, cut side down. Refrigerate until set.
- Spread the rest of the melted chocolate on the prepared pie crust. Be sure to spread it up the sides as well as cover the bottom of the crust.
- Layer the sliced strawberries over the bottom of the crust.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk until well blended. Add pudding mix. Whisk until mixture starts to thicken. Spread mixture evenly over strawberries.
- Cover the pie filling with fresh blueberries.
- Pipe whipped topping around the edge of the pie. Place the dipped strawberry halves on the whipped topping border. Refrigerate until ready to serve.