Several months ago I stumbled upon a yummy sounding recipe over at The Girl Who Ate Everything. Her Chewy Coconut Lime Cookies sounded so yummy and fresh.
Limes were on sale not long ago. I figured it must be time to try out this recipe.
The recipe was delish!
Coconut Lime Cookies
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of one large lime, finely minced
3 tbsp lime juice
½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut
½ cup sugar for rolling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and lime zest.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar.(Keep reading to see how my experimenting turned out!) Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
I mixed up the cookie dough just fine. It seemed a bit sticky though.
I had a “brilliant” idea. I remembered that I had some leftover green sugar from Christmas. I thought rolling the dough in the green sugar would be cute.
I was wrong!
Since the dough had gotten soft I decided to refrigerate it for a bit. But wait! Brilliant idea #2 hit. I thought that I would make the dough into a log and have slice & bake cookies.
This idea worked out okay. Brilliant? Not so sure about that based on what I did next…
Yes, brilliant idea #3. I decided to roll the dough in the green sugar so it would look like a lime slice. Then I took a glass from the cupboard that had a “lime slice” pattern on the bottom and squished it into the cookie.
Not so much.
While it looks like these cookies would have turned out cute, they didn’t. The pattern was totally lost after baking.
I decided to go back to the original instructions. I used a small scoop to make the cookies then rolled them in white sugar. Nice!
If you look closely, you can see the lime zest.
Well, so much for the experimentation. Sometimes a simple yummy cookie is better. They were yummy indeed!
Chip: Tastes like a tiny little Caribbean island.
Megan: I liked them well enough, but it needed more coconut.
Katie: There was a bit too much lime for me, but it was rather tasty!