So, I’ve been happily pinning new recipes and craft idea on Pinterest. Still trying really hard to not go crazy and get overwhelmed.
One of my newer pins is a recipe from Rachael Ray for Mexican Chicken Lime Soup.
Doesn’t that look yummy?! Doesn’t something spicy and warm sound delicious?!
Well, it did to me.
Here is the recipe. Be sure to read on for “the rest of the story”.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 hass avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 pieces
- Crushed tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Increase the heat to high, push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming any foam. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 avocado slices in each of 6 soup bowls and pour in the soup. Top with the tortilla chips.
Seems simple enough, huh?
I knew I didn’t have an avocado, but I figured we’d be okay without one.
Cilantro I HATE and wouldn’t have put it in there anyway.
Chicken-I had a couple of frozen chicken breasts-that would work. I decided to make half the recipe.
Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce I actually had! Seems like an “off” ingredient to have. I don’t remember when or why I used them. It’s been a while. Whenever it was, I had leftovers and put them in the freezer. I knew they were in there because they keep getting in my way. I was excited to get rid of that pesky bag.
The rest of the stuff I had on hand, even the limes!
I’m getting to the story part. I know, I know, lots of word-few pictures! Sorry, my visual friends. Please don’t surf away!!!
The house smelled so good. The kids were even asking, “What’s for supper, it smells so good!”
I made some cornbread. Okay, it was Jiffy, mmmmm. Look I found a picture for you!!!